As a serious basketball player, you have to select your gear with great care. With the right equipment and accessories, a player might be better equipped to make the right play or at least feel more confident about doing well on the court. What’s more, the correct basketball gear will also help in keeping a player relatively safer during a game or practice.
Other than selecting the right basketball shoes, compression stockings, and shorts, there are a few other accessories to think about. Arm, sleeves, knee sleeves, and leg sleeves fall in this category. These are sleeves that cover certain parts of your body; while they might not be absolutely necessary, they look good and provide a certain feel while you’re playing or practising.
Arm sleeves usually cover the area from a player’s wrist to his or her bicep. Knee sleeves are for the calf and knee area, while leg sleeves run from the thigh to the calf. Apart from these sleeves, arm pads and knee pads also come handy to protect players during Basketball as well as in many other outdoor sports like Paintball and Airsoft.
So, why should a player pay attention to the kind of sleeves they wear or even get any for their basketball practise and games? The most common answer to this is that certain players just like the feeling of such sleeves. They’re usually breathable and lightweight, which means that one stays cool even if they’re under a lot of pressure. Some sleeves varieties might be made of moisture-wicking material. Such fabrics help in keeping players dry while the game is eating up. Plus, some legs and arm sleeves might even have compression technology, so they provide the same benefits as compression stockings.
The next factor is that many athletes want to look and feel their best even when they’re playing. This can be a challenging aim, as one usually tends to get hot, sweaty, and ruffled while on the basketball court. Sleeves provide a way to keep the body parts in place while also controlling the moisture from excessive sweating. At the same time, they also present a somewhat neat look.
Many pro athletes as well as college basketball players also wear arm, leg, or knee sleeves, and the junior players want to emulate their heroes.
All of the perks above could be applied to all kinds of sleeves meant for basketball players, but we’ll be talking about how to choose the best basketball leg sleeves below:
Buying Guide for the Best Basketball Leg Sleeves
There are a few factors to keep in mind before you buy any leg sleeves for the purpose of playing basketball. They might vary in priority according to where you pay and how often, but most of the considerations are the same for all kinds of players. Let’s have a look at the factors we should consider before deciding on the best type of leg sleeve for basketball:
1. Colors and Designs
Basketball leg sleeves, arm sleeves, and knee sleeves come in all sorts of designs and colors, so you can choose according to your personal preference or style. AT times, you might have to stick to neutral shades or some specific colors in order to keep the rules of your current basketball team. In such cases, make sure to select the colors according to the regulations. For personal practise and wearing, you can choose any design, pattern, or shade you like.
2. Selecting the Right Size
Before placing an order for any basketball leg sleeve, you should always check out the sizing chart. When buying online, make sure that a sizing chart is provided in the product details. Keep in mind that the sizes will be different for men and women, so always look at the dimensions for each sleeve in inches.
The right basketball leg sleeves should not be tight, but snug enough to stay on the body part without moving much even when you’re playing. The sizing may also vary according to brand, so measure yourself accordingly before ordering. For leg sleeves, this means measuring the circumference of your ankle, knee, and calf. If the intended sleeve also goes to your thigh, measure that place as well.
3. Comfort and Pain Relief
Reading the reviews for a basketball leg sleeve will help you see what benefits it gives to its current users. If you’re looking for proper support, managing pain in the knees, or to stave off calf fatigue, see if that sleeve has helped people achieve such goals. Some sleeves may also be helpful in speeding up recovery from meniscus tears or runner’s knee along with several other issues.
4. Professional Compression Technology
Some versions of basketball leg sleeves may include compression technology, but not all of them. With proper compression, you get an increased level of blood transported to the right muscles in a specific body part. The resistance will be enough extra support to keep your legs a bit more stable while you’re practicing or playing.
5. Suitable for Frequent Wearing
Another factor to check out is whether the material of the basketball leg sleeve is comfortable and suitable for everyday earring. The material should be breathable, fairly lightweight, and not too constricting on your leg. It should also be comfortable and able to wick away moisture if you usually get sweaty while playing.
6. Padded or Unpadded
Padded and unpadded sleeves usually have different price ranges and a different feel when you put them on. The following table should help you decide whether to get a padded version or not:
Padded Leg Sleeve
Unpadded Leg Sleeve
Prevents scrapes and lowers impact on knee area
Prevents scrapes and friction burns
For players who have to run a lot, take risks, and battle for rebounds
For players who have to dive after loose balls on the court
Provides a bit of compression
May not always provide compression
Usually heats up quickly
Likely to be cooling and breathable
Now that we’re caught up on how to select the best leg sleeves for playing basketball, let’s check out some of the top options available on the market today:
- High quality
- Patented protective technology
- Closed cell foam padding for high-impact protection
- Moisture wicking technology for keeping dry and cool
- Favored by collegiate and pro athletes
- Provides compression technology
- Little to no chafing
- Top seam might get a bit irritating after extended wear
- Provide sun protection
- Breathable yet warm during the cold weather
- Lightweight build
- Won’t harm skin
- Moisture absorbing
- Quick-dry fabric prevents chills after sweating
- Provides support for sore and stiff joints plus muscles
- Suitable for everyday wearing
- Sizes run large, sizing chart needs to be checked carefully
- Compression helps in muscle recovery and better blood circulation
- High quality material
- Design helps in staying comfy and relatively cool while playing sports
- Silicone wave band to prevent slipping
- Versatile, ideal for wearing in a wide variety of activities
- Helps prevent damage from UV rays
- Good after sales service; offers size replacement when needed
- Sizing might be difficult to figure out
- There is a 100 percent happiness guarantee for this product, which means that you can return it and get a refund without any questions.
- Company has confidence in their offering
- Suitable for those with stubborn leg injuries, sore muscles, stiff joints, tendonitis, arthritis
- Can provide comfort all day and night
- Compression gives airport with comfort while also allowing a decent range of motion
- Helps muscles to perform and get stronger
- High quality fabric that can be washed easily without losing function
- Some complaints of uncomfortable elastic around the top
- Material is soft, elastic, and of high quality
- Resin included to prevent tears
- Tensile strength fit for playing baseball, basketball, football, and any indoor or outdoor game
- Provides at least 98 percent sun protection
- Care plan provided by parent company
- Sizes may run large
The table below will summarize the top choice for basketball leg sleeves:
|McDavid Hex Knee Pads and Knee Compression Sleeves||SONTHIN Leg Sleeves Compression Full Leg Long Sleeves||HuiYee Sports Compression UV Long Leg Sleeves||Copper Compression Full Leg Sleeve||The COOLOMG 1PC Compression Leg Sleeve|
|Material||Nylon and spandex||Nylon and Spandex||Polyamide and Spandex||Copper infused nylon||Polyester|
|Unique Feature||Patented HEX protection||Full coverage||Silicone band to prevent slipping||Has copper in the fibers instead of sprayed on||Resin mixed into fabric|
|Size ranges||L to XXL, Youth One Size||Medium to XL||Medium to XL||L to XL||XXL to XL|
|One Piece or Pair||Pair||Pair||Pair||One Piece||One Piece|
With so many options around, it can be challenging to choose the right basketball leg sleeve for your requirements. Fortunately, there are a lot of reviews for these items available online, along with sizing charts to guide you. As long as you’re careful about choosing the right material and size, you’d probably get a decent basketball sleeve to up your game.